If you’re planning to move from California to New York, you may be wondering how to transport your car safely and efficiently. Shipping your car can be a convenient and cost-effective option, but it’s important to prepare your vehicle properly to ensure a smooth transition. In this article, we’ll go over some tips on how to prepare your car for shipping from California to New York.
- Research Car Shipping Companies Before you can start preparing your car for shipping, you need to find a reputable car shipping company. Look for companies that specialize in long-distance car shipping and have good reviews and ratings. Be sure to get multiple quotes from different companies to compare prices and services. Reliable Car Shippers will have a DOT # that you can search on the FMCSA website to make sure the companies license is up to date.
- Remove Personal Items It’s important to remove all personal items from your car before shipping it. Personal items can add unnecessary weight to your car and may be at risk of being lost or damaged during transport. Take out all your belongings, including electronics, clothes, and anything else you’ve left in your car.
- Clean Your Car Make sure your car is clean before it’s shipped. This will make it easier to inspect your car for any damages before and after transport. Also, remove any loose items, such as bike racks or antennas, that may come off during transport.
- Document Existing Damage Before shipping your car, inspect it carefully for any existing damages. Take pictures of your car from different angles, making sure to capture any dents, scratches, or other imperfections. This documentation will come in handy if there are any damages during transport.
- Check Your Car’s Fluid Levels Before shipping your car, make sure to check all the fluid levels, including the oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, and coolant. If any of the levels are low, fill them up before shipping your car.
- Remove Custom Accessories If you have any custom accessories on your car, such as spoilers, ground effects, or grill covers, consider removing them before shipping your car. These accessories can add unnecessary weight to your car and may be at risk of being damaged during transport.
- Disable Your Car Alarm If your car has an alarm system, make sure to disable it before shipping your car. The alarm may go off during transport, causing unnecessary disruption and drawing attention to your car.
- Check Your Tires Make sure your tires are properly inflated before shipping your car. Underinflated tires can put extra stress on your car’s suspension and may be at risk of being damaged during transport. Also, make sure your tires are in good condition and have enough tread to handle the long-distance journey.
- Give Your Car a Maintenance Check It’s a good idea to give your car a maintenance check before shipping it. This includes checking the battery, brakes, and other essential systems to make sure everything is in good working order.
- Provide Necessary Paperwork Before shipping your car, make sure to provide all the necessary paperwork to the car shipping company. This includes proof of insurance, registration, and any other documentation required by the company or state.
In conclusion, shipping your car from California to New York can be a convenient and safe option, but it’s important to prepare your vehicle properly before transport. By following these tips, you can ensure a smooth transition and protect your car from any potential damages. Remember to research car shipping companies, remove personal items, clean your car, document existing damage, check your car’s fluid levels, remove custom accessories, disable your car alarm, check your tires, give your car a maintenance check, and provide necessary paperwork.